To create a new data source, you must first prepare a CSV file containing your data. We decided on the CSV format because it is simple, and most applications can export data in this format. The one requirement for the CSV is that the key field must be the first column in the CSV. See here for more on data sources and key fields.
Suppose you want to create a data source called “Customers”, which contains the names, address, city, state, zip code, and phone number for all your customers. A typical workflow for generating a CSV might go something like this:
- Export the desired information from wherever it resides. In this example, you will likely have the customer information in one of your existing business systems, like Quickbooks.
- Open the exported file in a spreadsheet program like Excel, and make your key field the first column. In this example, that would be the customer name.
- Save your data as a CSV file.
It is a good practice to include headers in your CSV file. Most applications will have the option to save your CSV with headers.
Once you have your CSV file ready, do the following to import it into GoFormz and create a data source:
- Expand the More dropdown in the header, and select Manage Data Sources.
- Click the Create button. The Create Data Source dialog appears.
- In the Name field, enter the name for your new data source.
- Click Browse Files to launch the file chooser, and select your CSV file.
- If your CSV file has a header row, check the CSV file has header row box.
- Click Save.
The data from the CSV file will be uploaded into GoFormz, and you will see a table with your new data source data.