Template folders are used for two key purposes:
- Controlling access: They let you control which users are able to access which templates.
- Organizing templates: They make it easier to keep track of all your forms by organizing them by function or by some other convenient distinction.
For instance, suppose your GoFormz account has some human resources form templates and some form templates to be used during fieldwork. In this scenario, you may want to set up two template folders called “Field Forms” and “HR Forms”, then set up your permissions so that your HR employees only have access to the HR templates, and field techs only have access to the field technician templates. Finally, place the appropriate forms in each folder to complete the setup. See here for more on how users, groups, and permissions work in GoFormz, including a detailed use case.
Below, we go over how to create/edit/delete template folders, how to set their permissions, and how to move form templates into and out of these folders.
Creating a new template folder
To create a new template folder, do the following:
- Create the folder. Navigate to the Templates Tab and click the New button at the top to launch the Create Folder dialog box.
- Name the folder. Enter a name for the folder. In the example below, the folder is called “Field Forms”.
- Set folder permissions. Select the appropriate permissions for each user group. In the example above:
- Users in the Field Techs group can use the templates in this folder, but cannot view forms owned by other users.
- Users in the Human Resources group have no access to the templates in this folder
- Users in the Supervisors group have full access to the templates in this folder, including viewing forms owned by other users.
- Save your folder. Click Save Changes to finish creating the folder. Your new folder will immediately appear in the Templates Tab.
Moving templates into and out of a folder
To move a form template into or out of a folder, check the boxes next to the templates that you want to move. In this example, we’ve selected the Field Work Order and Job Safety Checklist templates. Then click the Move button at the top.
In the Move to Folder dialog that opens:
- To move the selected templates into a folder, choose the folder from the dropdown menu and click Move. In the example below, we’ve selected the “Field Forms” folder.
- To move the selected templates out of a folder and back to the top level, click the Move to Main button.
Editing a template folder
To change the name or permissions of an existing template folder, expand the Actions dropdown next to it and select Edit. You will see an Edit Folder window displaying the folder settings. Change the settings as needed and click Save to save your edits.
Deleting a template folder
To delete a folder, expand the Actions dropdown next to it and select Delete. Then click Yes in the confirmation dialog box. Deleting a folder will not delete any of the templates in the group -- it will simply move those templates out of the group to the top level.