This is the screen where you can edit your report, including:
- Selecting which columns to include in the report
- Designating rollup columns and summarizing your data
- Adding charts to your report
- Applying filters to remove unnecessary information
To open a report in the editor, navigate to the Reports Tab, expand the action dropdown next to the report you want to edit, and select theEdit option. The Report Editor has 4 main areas -- the Sidebar, the Report Preview area, the Report Options, and the Action buttons. Let’s review the different pieces of this screen and how they interact.
The Sidebar lets you choose the columns that you want to include in your report. It consists of the Form template dropdown and the Available columns list.
Form template dropdown: This dropdown lets you select the form template on which you want to report. As soon as you select the desired template, you will see the Available columns list populate with all the column names from that template.
Available columns list: This area lists all the columns that you can use in your report. The (Shared Fields) section at the top lists metadata fields that are shared across all forms. To add a column to your report, simply drag the column name from the Available columns list to the Report preview area.
This area shows what your report might look like in the Report Viewer. The data shown here represents a sample of the data that you will see in the full report -- you will not see all your report rows here. To view the complete report, open your report in the Report Viewer.
Hover over a column name in the Report Preview and click the dropdown arrow that appears to see the column dropdown menu. The following options are available here:
- Sort Ascending/Descending: Sort the report by this column, in either ascending or descending order.
- Remove: Remove this column from the report.
- Group By This Field: Divide your report into groups based on the values in this column. See here for more.
- Summary Options (Count, Sum, Min, Max, Avg): Summarize the data in this column in one of the 5 ways provided here. See here for details. Note that these options will only appear if your report has a grouping. These options should only be used for columns with numeric data.
In addition to these dropdown choices, you can also do the following with your columns:
- Resize columns: Hover between two column names until the cursor appears, then click and drag left or right to change column width. This is handy when you can’t see the data in a column because it’s too narrow.
- Rearrange columns: Click and hold on a column name, the drag it to the left or right, and drop it in the desired position.
This area at the top of the editor lets you manage the filters and charts in your report:
Filters allow you to limit your report to just the data you want. use the Add Filter button to add a new filter, and the Apply Filter button to save and apply your changes when you’ve configured a new filter. See the Applying filters to your report article for details.
Charts -- including bar charts, pie charts, and line graphs -- can be added to your report to help visualize the data. Use the Add Chart button to add a new chart. If your report already has a chart, you will see Edit Chart and Delete Chart buttons in place of the Add Chart button. See the Adding a chart to your report article for details.
The Report options area can be collapsed and expanded using the arrows in the top right corner.
Three action buttons are available in the top right corner of the editor: