After uploading your paper form into GoFormz, you have to tell GoFormz where on the form fields will be located and what kind of field you want to use. This is needed to determine where on the form users will need to click or tap in order to fill out each individual field, and what kind of input control will show up when they do.
In this article we go over the steps involved in doing this -- adding fields of different types to the template, and then sizing and positioning them appropriately. We also cover how to delete fields from your template.
To perform any of these actions begin by opening your template in the Template Editor.
To add a field to your GoFormz template, drag-and-drop fields from the Template Editor’s left sidebar into the template preview area. The new field will appear in the preview in light blue. In the example below, the Drop Down field from the Add New Fields area is being dragged into the form next to the “Technician” label.
The sidebar contains three separate field lists, each with a different set of fields to choose from:
- Add New Fields: This area lists all available field types. Drag a field into the preview area to create a new field of this type. See here for a detailed explanation of each field type.
- Template Fields: This area lists all fields that already exist in your template. Dragging one of these into the edit area will create a duplicate field with the same name and Default Value as the original field.
- Shared Fields: This area lists all fields that are shared across form templates. See here for more on shared fields. Drag one of these fields into the preview area to create an instance of that shared field in this template.
You can reposition a field in three ways:
- Drag-and-drop. Hover over the field until you see the mouse pointer, then drag-and-drop the field to its new location. As you drag your field, you will notice it snapping to align with other elements in your form, with vertical and horizontal guidelines demonstrating this alignment. This makes it easier to position your field exactly where you want it with respect to other form fields.
- Field Properties. Click on the field in the preview area to select it, then find the Left and Top properties in the Field Properties section on the right side of the editor. These properties give the field’s position as offsets from the top left corner of the page. See here for more on these field properties.
- Arrow Keys. Click on the field in the preview area to select it, then use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the field by small increments. Typically, you will want to start with the drag-and-drop method, then fine-tune the field’s position using arrow keys or the Field Properties section if needed.
You can resize a form field in two ways:
- Drag-and-drop. To resize a field, hover over its edge until one of the resize mouse pointers appears (), then click and drag to change the field’s dimensions.
- Field Properties. Click on the field in the preview area to select it, then find the Width and Height properties in the Field Properties section on the right side of the editor. These properties give the field’s height and width in pixels. See here for more on these field properties.
You will typically want to size the field approximately using drag-and-drop, then fine-tune its size using Field Properties.
To delete a field from your template:
1.Click the field in the preview area of the Template Editor to select it.
2.On Windows, hit the Delete key on your keyboard; on Mac, hit Fn + Delete.
3.Click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.
Note that deleting a field will remove it from your template, but will not remove it from the Template Fields area of the editor.